Thursday, April 26, 2012

Praying Past the Food

"But Mommy I don't want to go to bed yet!"
"Adelyn your not... we're eating lunch"
"But Mommy that was a bed time prayer"
So now I am challenged. It is so necessary sometimes to say the quick "thank you for our food amen" prayer, as I simultaneously shuffle plates and food across the table, pour drinks, handout napkins, refill plates, refill drinks... and on and on. But today my sweet girl reminded me that everyday should be a day where we pray like "we are going to bed". Every prayer should find the time to thank God for the day he has made, for the sunshine outside, for the birds in their nest; every prayer should supplicate for listening ears, forgiving spirits, and kindness to one another. Every prayer should remind my little ones of the awesome God we are praying to, and that He hears us, and He cares. 

This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. 1 John 5:14

1 comment:

  1. I am guilty of this more than I care to admit. The kids love to sing their Lord We Thank You song, but I need to just pray over our food more often.

    ReplyDelete