![]() |
| Poor Xan was sick today |
For me, that means using cash in the grocery store, and keeping up with a running total as I shop. I thought, there is no way I can ever do this. It is seriously hard enough to get through the store with four kids, much less keep a running total of what I've spent! But... I see the value in holding myself responsible to what we really have to spend each week; there is great peace in that!
![]() |
| Future accountant? |
And surprise of all surprises.. it wasn't that bad! As we got out of the car, I gave Avery a notebook and pen. I instructed him that he would be writing down the prices (which I rounded) of every item that we bought. I explained to all of the kids that we only had $53 to spend; it was our challenge to only use our cash, that I would not pull out my "credit card". I prayed that the Lord would bless our shopping trip, provide us good sales, and good attitudes.. and then we marched in (side note, it is nearly impossible to healthily fed a family of 6 for less than $100 a week!).
As we shopped for the things we needed, the kids saw several things they wanted. We took some time to stop and add up Avery's list of what was already in our cart. I explained that we only had $11 left, and we still needed milk, eggs, flour, and oil. So I asked, "do we have the extra money to spend on this item you guys want?" " Will we meet our challenge if we buys this?" They all agreed the answer was NO.
At the end of our trip my total was $53.04... for an entire week of healthy groceries.
I was incredibly proud of my frugal babies, and thankful that the Lord always provides (meats on markdown, unexpected clearance, and extra store coupons!). Every week will be different, but what will remain consistent is my pledge to be good stewards of what we have. To teach my kids the same, but to also instill in them that Christ is what we value the most - and all we have, all we earn, and all we do is ultimately for Him.
![]() |
| Ashers "job" sleeping on my back! |



We do Dave Ramsey too and, although it's not always easy, we have been so blessed by it. I pray that you guys will be too! Be encouraged, it got easier for me as we used it more.
ReplyDeleteI love Dave. The cash thing is super hard, I agree! We got rid of all our credit cards years ago, but I still can't part with my debit card. Though part of me thinks the kids would benefit from seeing me pay with cash.
ReplyDelete