Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Easter Week Day 2

Jesus shared a final meal with His disciples (Egg 3) before His arrest and crucifixion. For egg 3 the kids each enjoyed a small piece of pound cake (dairy free!!) I'd made the night before. Even though Jesus was fully God He was also fully man - we talked about how He must have felt, knowing that He was about to be arrested and die, and how important spending these last few moments with the men that had known Him best, must have been.

During the meal he did something very strange... He went around the room washing each of His disciples feet (Egg 4). I mean who really wants the job of washing grown man feet! During this time in society especially, this was an ultimate act of humility, an act saved for the lowest servant.

But here's the lesson for my little ones - that evening before the meal, Jesus knew that the disciples had been arguing and bragging among themselves (eyebrows raised at two little ones right now....). So Jesus quietly stood up, grabbed a basin of water, and started washing their feet.  I asked them....."what do you think those big disciple guys said to Jesus when He started washing their hairy dirty feet!?" (chime in the egggghh, yuck, gross)... The Bible says Peter said "Lord I can't let you wash my feet", and the others were dumbfounded. I wonder what Judas thought as the Lord knowingly looked at him,  lovingly washing the feet He had created, the feet that had betrayed Him hours earlier.  

So we took turns washing each others feet. The kids loved washing Xanders "chunky toes". And we finished up egg 4 by talking about our Saviors final instructions to his followers... "I want you to follow my example, I want you to humble yourselves, I want you to forgive, and I want you to live to serve".   Egg 4 could have been a lesson all on its own! 

No comments:

Post a Comment