Friday, February 24, 2012

Hard Things


We had to let Avery's lizard go last night. He has burst into tears crying about 10 times since then because he "misses" his lizard. Despite his strong temperament, he is so tenderhearted.  We have tried to work every angle of this letting the lizard go ordeal to help him deal with it.  1) God didn't create this lizard to live in a glass jar, how can he run and catch bugs? 2) What about the lizards family? - in which he says I'm his family...hmmm. 3) You know how we check books out at the libary, take them home, enjoy them, but then have to return them?... thats like your lizard!  4) I bet that lizard is telling his family all about his adventure and the kind boy that let him go..... and then finally we just have to look at him and say "buddy sometimes doing the right thing is hard, this is one of those times, and because you loved you lizard you had to do what was best for him". 

I feel bad for my little guy. I tried to explain to him that sometimes mommies and daddies have to make hard decisions because they love their children.  And as I hold him while he cries, I will never forget after 27 hours of labor tearfully agreeing to have a C-section to deliver him. I had to make a hard decision, a selfless decision, because I loved him. And this is one of the many lessons I pray he will understand one day when he is his own man.        


No comments:

Post a Comment