Shocker... the Autism rate has increased 78% since 2002. And in part I'm sure the trajectory has increased due to early diagnosis, more resource availability, and awareness. The whirlpool of ideas that may lead to autistic tendencies swirls around vaccines, foods, environmental factors, and genetics. I love the quote from the CEO of the Kennedy Krieger Institute (for autism support):
And this is where we have been living and discovering daily. There are just some things that send our child over the edge. If we get those things out of his diet, we notice changes... better coping with transitions, less sensory challenges, more bodily control. I imagine it much like a big bucket of water. Some children are a full bucket, ready to spill over, and when something heavy is thrown in this bucket, the water splashes out soaking everyone around it. And for us the same factors that effect our "full bucket" child, do not effect our other two children.
I look forward to seeing the research continuing towards environmental factors as an aggregate to an underlying dispostion in some children. A true epidemic in our world, a spectrum (range, gamut, sweep, extent, scope, span) of possibilities, and each child a unique diagnosis and path to healing.
Hello, I just found your blog through my friend Michelle's blog Cornucopia and am hooked. :) I also have a young child on the autistic spectrum and we are trying to decide on dietary changes now. It's very overwhelming but we want to help him anyway we can. have a good weekend and hope to check in on your blog more often.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the encouragement! The food elimination is definitely tough and very overwhelming. Even after about 6 months we are still have "ah ha" moments! It's not a cure, but it I strongly believe that it gives kids a clearer mind and less inflammation - and that is a good place to start! :-) Email me if you ever want to talk! weimarfam@gmail.com
ReplyDelete~Alyson