
We have been challenged over the past 6 months to move away from food prepared outside of our home. Yes we occasionally eat out, but even then I am very cautious and particular. One of my recent endeavors has been fresh bread. We have not bought any bread from the supermarket since October. So why make my own bread? It taste better, it comes from my own kitchen, it is preservative free, dye free, high fructose corn syrup free, dairy free, additional gluten free, and its cheaper!
Homemade bread is a concept many of us have to reaquaint ourselves to. We are used to shelf stable bread that will last a good 2 weeks. Homemade bread kept in the panty, will last you about 2 days. The industry of bread making has accustomed us to shelf stable bread full of preservatives and added gluten. This is what keeps it soft and "fresh". When I make homemade bread it has 3 ingredients (flour, yeast, salt), and occasionally I'll add a drizzle of honey or fresh herbs vs. at least 22 countable ingredients in a common store bread.
INGREDIENTS in Wonder Bread 100% Whole Wheat
Whole wheat flour, water, wheat gluten, high fructose corn syrup, contains 2% of less of: soybean oil, salt, molasses, yeast, mono and diglycerides, exthoxylated mono and diglycerides, dough conditioners (sodium stearoyl lactylate, calcium iodate, calcium dioxide), datem, calcium sulfate, vinegar, yeast nutrient (ammonium sulfate), extracts of malted barley and corn, dicalcium phosphate, diammonium phosphate, calcium propionate (to retain freshness). |

So interested in this. I'm guessing you have a brea machine?? What kind ? And do you have to make it daily since it goes bad so quick??
ReplyDeleteRachel
No bread maker. Did you see the recipe link http://weimarkids.blogspot.com/p/artisan-bread.html? It has really good directions. I make it once sometimes twice a week. If we eat it for dinner we go through it faster. The dough stays good in fridge for 2 weeks though. I will make some loaves or small sandwich size buns and let them rise, then pop them in the freezer on my silpat covered baking sheet. After they freeze I put them in a zip lock bag and I can take them directly out and bake from the freezer.
ReplyDeleteThe more you do it the more comfortable it will be. I modify it all the time. Today I made pitas.
We should get together one day next week!