Friday, May 11, 2012

Magic Age?


The cover of the May 21, 2012 issue of Time.You can't find much more of a breastfeeding advocate than myself. I'm La Leche all the way. Straight militant if you ask my hubby (just kidding... well maybe!). But I do have to say that the front of Time magazine is distasteful. I am all about breastfeeding past a year old. All of mine have... I am still breastfeeding my youngest and he is going strong. HOWEVER he is not standing in a chair posing for a camera. 

So what's the magic age? We've been told that it's age "one"- stop breastfeeding, give your child live vaccines (uh-oh now I'm really rocking the boat!), introduce crap in their diets (food dye, dairy, preservatives). But why all of this at age one? When our babies brains are still rapidly developing.... 
For me, I have become more confident with each child. I've stopped worrying about others opinions, or widespread government "recommendations". I've realized that I know these children best, and what we do, we do for a reason.

A final word of encoragement. If you have made it to age one breastfeeding, give it a couple extra  months. They are walking, running, climbing, and gaining that new independence. It's nice to hold onto that precious few minutes of bonding time only you can savor together.  And by the way, mad props to those mama's who exclusively pump for their babies, I don't know if I have that much resolve in me! And if you haven't breastfed before, no one will ever tell you how hard breastfeeding a baby is going to be. It doesn't come easy, but the reward is great. 



No comments:

Post a Comment