"Honesty is the best policy. If I lose mine honor, I lose myself." Shakesphere
I love the candid honesty of children. To bad that honesty doesn't always come out when they are in trouble! We have been dealing with the sin of lying lately in our home. Avery and Adelyn both have found it is "convenient" to lie to us. The truth is, lying is something we all at least struggle with.
Just a few weeks ago, after we had moved into my parents house, I was put to the test. As I was making muffins one morning, I dropped a canister in my mom's kitchen. It shattered into a thousand pieces. Doesn't seem like such a big deal… except I knew how special that canister was to her. As much as I hate to admit it, my sin nature flared up. The first thing I thought about was LYING!
I promise it didn't take but a second for the Lord to convict me of that thought though! I was then able to set a good example in front of my children, by telling my mom the truth, and also admitting to them that even their mommy struggles with the desire to lie!
The point is, I get it. I understand why the want to lie. I understand that until they really know Christ, they will continue to lie. But they are my sheep, and I will shepherd them to the best of my ability. I will point them to truth, and to Christ, whenever I can. I pray daily that they will have the desire to obey; that they will desire truth, honor, and integrity.
So when they fall into the sin of lying what do we do? We deal with it, we never ignore it. We talk about our desire to sin and why we need Christ. We talk about the importance of honor, character, and integrity. And most of all we pray together that next time they will desire truth.
Blog from January 2013 - Desire and Obedience

No comments:
Post a Comment