This morning as I was getting everyone dressed, I asked Elly to put her clothes on. She emphatically stated (as as the norm lately) "I don't want to". I repeat my request and calmly remind her of our house rules (which are posted in the kitchen) - obey the first time without delay. Again "I don't want to!!!". Okay Elly. Now here is the point I've chosen to stop begging, asking, yelling.... getting frustrated. Where I would once get angry, I now just deal with the heart of the issue. She will have a consequence for her choice - disobedience. But as I am walking downstairs to pick her up and deal with the issue, Avery walks over and sweetly says,"Elly, I'd suggest you make a good choice right now, you need to obey, now put your shirt on". I stopped half way down the steps. And sure enough in 30 seconds she was dressed. They didn't even know I was standing there. And though they will fight (heck they are arguing now!), and be unkind to one another, I am so thankful for the bond they share.
Dealing with the heart of discipline is an evolving battle. It's always hardest the first time around. But little eyes and little ears are watching not only me, but the sibling examples around them.
That's awesome Aly! Makes you feel like it's all worth it, huh? And I agree - age 3 and 4 are the hardest but then it evens out a little..... at least that's my experience.
ReplyDelete