Friday, June 1, 2012

Hello Noah

How many times have I read the story of Noah's ark to my kids. It doesn't matter if you grew up in church, or how many times you went to Sunday School, you know that one, it's basic. But as I was reading the story for the 100th time a few nights ago it struck me, it's not basic. For the first time ever, I feel like Noah. I can empathize with what he must have gone through. 


When God asked him to build the ark - the earth had never seen rain before. NEVER. We know that Noah must have been a great man of faith, since he went right on ahead and built this HUGE gigantic boat in the middle of dry land. He didn't ask God to prove anything. He didn't demand that the rain fall first. 


And here's where it hits home for us. We are making big decisions, we need God to let it rain right now! But am I willing to build my ark first? Am I willing to take that leap of faith, even when others don't get it, even when the world see's us as strange? 


Can you imagine what they must have said to Noah. Crazy old man building a boat. And not a cute story book boat; a nasty smelly boat full of animals and humans all baking in the sun, waiting for it to..... rain!  And thanks to my wise husband I have another new insight. Noah WAITED for 7 days inside the ark until God brought the rain. The Bible doesn't tell us what he did inside the boat during these 7 days, but I guarantee he was praying hard! And I guarantee the world outside that door was laughing hard. But Noah "did all that the Lord commanded him", and great was his reward. 


No comments:

Post a Comment