Since it's that time of year again, when everyone has started up school, and we are meeting new friends, we always get the question…. "Why are you homeschooling?" "I could never do that!". Homeschool is not for everyone. For us, it was what our child needed, and I'm thankful I can do it during this season of our life. For us it's something I never thought I'd do, that I actually have come to love.
When we started Kindergarten, I had no idea where we would be the next year (literally!), but thats not my only reason. We actually did a year and half of preschool with Avery. I felt the pressures of "socializing" my kid, and putting him in "school". I thought at the time it was best for him. After a year we realized that he was having increased behavioral problems, his sensorial and hyperactive behaviors had become much more pronounced, and we just weren't at peace… so half way through PreK we pulled him out. I have never regretted it. I am certain we have a different child because of it. For our child and our family it was the best decision. It has given him confidence to succeed, and it has allowed us to work on helping him help himself.
The good news is that through various methods (diet, homeschool, coping skills, and maturity) we have seen profound growth in Avery over the past 2 years. It is the exception, rather than the norm when we have a highly sensorial day, most days now are in the "green zone". Just this past Sunday I was so proud and shocked by him. Ben was speaking in a new church, and when given the choice to sit in the service with me or go to children's church (by himself, with complete strangers, in a different building!), he said "I think I'll go to children's church today mama"… and he did! It's the small things that are so huge to us as parents. That little event has made me giddy all week! That small accomplishment was HUGE in our book.





No comments:
Post a Comment