Wednesday, September 19, 2012

All About Leaves

Homeschooling Avery has been a lot more work than I realized it would be. God has already taught me an incredible amount of patience over the past 5 years, and I'm sure he was preparing me for my biggest challenge yet - teaching!

I love it though, and it's totally worth it. Last week I took the kids to the park for lunch, and as we spread our picnic blanket out, Avery and I discussed what we had learned that day... all about leaves. Which leaves do you see that still have chlorophyll, and which leaves lying on the ground no longer have chlorophyll?  Which trees do you see that are conifers and which are deciduous? How creative is our God to create all these beautiful kinds of trees? Why do you think He gave us so many? 

As I enjoyed that precious time with my boy, I was so thankful that he was home with me, and I have the opportunity to be his educator in these early years. I am the one teaching him to read, write, calculate math problems, and learn about the world that God has created. It has proven to be an invaluable time in our lives already.

"Trees" with fall leaves. Avery cut out an impressive root system for his tree. We had just learned that roots can be as tall as the tree. So he had to be accurate!

Leaf rubbings

Xander "organizing"our leaf collection

No comments:

Post a Comment