Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Welcome to Kindergarten!

Our fist day of Kindergarten went well today. The greatest challenge is balancing the other kids and really making sure Avery is learning what he needs to.
 I am confident in our choice to homeschool, although I am fully aware of the challenges ahead of us!  

We started our first unit with the letter S. Avery knows his letters and sounds already so this is a review for him. Elly however needs to build more concrete knowledge in this area.  I love the curriculum that we are using because every day has a focused science lesson. This is where I really see Avery thrive. His ridiculous memorization skills kick in and he can quote verbatim every fact we learned today about the sun and weather.











Avery has always struggled with handwritting, partially because he has a hard time being still! One of the best methods I have found is a chalkboard. First I write the letter, then he takes a small wet sponge to trace over the letter, next he takes his finger and traces over the wet lines, then he rewrites the letter with his chalk. This method is great because he can stand, it's sensory, and it reinforces the skill in different ways. 



 Good thing Xander is my third kid and I can just deflect crying sometimes! He finally stopped fussing and found the markers on the kitchen table. I didn't realize until latter that he had been drawing all over his face, rather than the piece of paper I had given him, Oh well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment