Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Would You Like Strawberry or Red 40 With That?

Oh food dye. How I despise thee! Food dye elimination has made such a difference in our families life. I've blogged about it before, but it's persistently coming up, among friends, caregivers, teachers at church... always the same questions Why and How! Just last week the comment was made to me: "well food dye is in everything honey"Yep. And spectrum disorders are rampant, medications are being given out like candy, and kids are amped up on who knows what (preservatives, food dye, sugar).


So educate yourselfThe research is there. The testimonies are there. Other countries are there. There is no place for food dye in our diets. And especially not in the diet of an attention challenged, hyper, impulsive, or sensorial child.

European lawmakers now require a warning label on foods that contain artificial dyes. It lets parents know their kids might become hyperactive if they consume the product. Rather than labeling their products, brands such as Kellog's and General Mills have altered the ingredients - using natural means to color their products. 
So while our country is behind on the food game, I am encouraged that we are able to find increasingly more store bought options. We were so excited last week to find all natural gummy bears at Trader Joes. Or these lollipops off of Amazon (thanks Chelsea!) But like anything sweet, we use them sparingly and for special events (like VBS snacks or birthdays). 


Another website I have become reliant on is Food Facts . It highlights the questionable ingredients at a quick glance. So when Swiss Cake Rolls were on the VBS snack list last week I confirmed my suspicions....



I don't expect the questions or comments to stop coming any time soon. But I take great pride in my three and four year olds looking at someone and asking "is there red 40 in this?".  So I will work to educate my children, their caregivers, and anyone else who is struggling. Because who doesn't like living in the green zone!



1 comment:

  1. why would you give swiss cake rolls to young kids anyway? isn't it obvious there's a ton of sugar in it? not like, say, nutrigrain bars that at least appear to be healthy.

    ReplyDelete