Thursday, December 13, 2012

Santa

Avery:  "FINALLY!".
Me: "Finally what?"
Avery: "Finally a song about Christmas!!!!"


I realized at that moment the Pandora music stream we had on this morning, as we made Christmas crafts, had only played songs about Santa, snowmen, and bells. Come Let Us Adore Him, was the first song that even mentioned Christ. This was the first song that the kids recognized as the "real" message of Christmas.

 Ben and I have decided not do the whole "Santa thing" with our kids. I grew up believing in Santa. and we have a lot of friends who "do santa" and still explain the "real" message of Christmas.  But it just wasn't what we choose to do. For us, it has been refreshing that Avery and Elly are older enough to "get" the Santa and presents thing, yet they are solid in what Christmas means. Santa doesn't cloud the message of Christmas in any way.

Still I'm sure people wonder about us when they ask our kids if they have made their list for Santa and they just get blank stares in return.  :-)








1 comment:

  1. Wow Elly looks just like her daddy here! Such a pretty girl.

    ReplyDelete